Photo: Courtesy of Wichita Thunder and Visit Wichita
Are you ready for the weekend? I AM! I'm still trying to get used to the new year. I need to get out this weekend and enjoy our fine city, You should do the same. My friends at Visit Wichita have a list of cool things to do this weekend in Doo-Dah. Here are some of the things you can check out!
- January 9, 9 to 11 a.m. at B-29 Doc Hangar & Education Center
- Step back in time to learn about and tour Doc, the B-29 Airplane. The mission of this museum and hangar built around this airplane is to honor the men and women, who sacrificed so much for the freedom of others, including those who designed, built, maintained and flew the B-29 during and after WWII. The museum also connects people with the rich heritage of the B-29 and allows aviation enthusiasts to experience the thrill of a B-29 up close.
- January 10 - March 27, every Friday from 3 to 4 p.m. at Leslie Coffee Company
- See award-winning Appalachian musician Shawn Craver play the part of "the fiddler" in the Delano District. The fiddler is a lone figure present throughout the history of old cow-towns like Wichita, the coal towns of Appalachia and the gold fields of California. The fiddler is a glimpse of the past whose music is leading a post-industrial Wichita and one of its historic neighborhoods into the future.
- January 10, 7:30 p.m. at Hartman Arena
- After landing two releases in the Top 10 of Billboard’s country albums chart on his own CoJo label and selling 74,000 tickets for a single show, to earn recognition as the only unsigned artist in history to sell out NRG Stadium at RodeoHouston, one of Texas’ most-sought-after talents finally agreed to sign with a major label. See this country music star when he makes a stop at Hartman Arena.
- January 10
- The Wichita Thunder host the Tulsa Oriels in East Coast Hockey League Action.
- January 11, 6 p.m. in Old Town
- Celebrate the 3rd annual Onesie Bar Crawl in Wichita KS as hundreds of people gather in downtown Wichita dressed up in their onesies with an interactive crawl taking you through three decades of music (80s, 90s and the 2000s).
- January 11
- The Wichita Thunder host the KC Mavericks for #ILOVEWICHITA Night. This is an annual celebration of Wichita and a chance for fans to show off their city pride.
- Through Feb. 29 at Exploration Place
- Set in one of the planet’s most exquisite and secluded wildernesses, hidden from the outside world, Canada’s Great Bear Rainforest is home to an immense array of wildlife, including the fabled all-white spirit bear. Exploration Place has upgraded the Dome Theater technology. The dome theater is the largest in the state – with a soaring 60-foot tall screen, an immersive 360 degree view, and booming Dolby sound. It’s an exceptional experience, and you do not have to pay museum admission to visit the dome – only $5 or less per ticket! See website for times.
For more information on any of this week’s events, go to visitwichita.com/thisweek.