Recipes & Resolutions
Yep, that what it seems every new year begins with. Not for me. This year I resolve to KISS. Keep It Simple Silly. No big goals, no big plans, no big anything. One full year of life on an even keel would be perfect.
And that brings us to cauliflower. (No, not on any logical level, but when you're writing a newsletter about the new year, and your tummy is growling, and someone has just reminded you of roasting whole heads of cauliflower... that indeed brings us to cauliflower.)
Someone DID remind me of this technique, and in the same conversation the fact that cauliflower is chock-full of nutrients, antioxidants, etc. So, if your resolution is to ditch the sofa, lose 150lbs, or climb Mt. Kilimanjaro, this recipe might start you on your way.
Then again, it might just be a delicious meal...
Roasted Cauliflower with Balsamic Glaze
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 1 medium red onion, cut into wedges
- kosher salt
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cauliflower so it sits flat. Place cauliflower in a baking dish.
- Coat onion wedges and any other vegetables you'd like to add with olive oil, salt well, and place around cauliflower head.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk together balsamic and brown sugar. Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce to a simmer. Let simmer until reduced by half, about 15 minutes.
- Brush glaze all over cauliflower, reserving some for basting.
- Roast until golden and fork-tender, 50-60 minutes, periodically basting with glaze.